If you thought 500 ponies crammed into an engine was boast-worthy wait until you see what these vehicles can do. I asked Jody Victor® to tell us about these super-fast cars from an article by James Tate of MSN Autos/msn.com.
Jody Victor®: Apparently it was not hard to come up with these 10 examples of cars with 600 or more horsepower. Here it is, an impressive list of 10, in two parts.
10. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, 612 horsepower – With Ferrari’s last hypercar, the Enzo, slowly fading from memory, the 599 GTB now holds the crown of top Ferrari. This front-engine grand-touring sports car boasts a 6-liter 612-horsepower V12 engine under its long hood. It also holds the crown for one of the world’s fastest zero-to-60-mph times, at just 3.2 seconds. For those with an even greater lust for performance, and even deeper pockets, the 599 GTO variant claims a whopping 661 horsepower and the title of Ferrari’s fastest production offering — even faster than the aforementioned Enzo.
9. Porsche 911 GT2 RS, 620 horsepower – Porsche reserves its “RS” designation for only the best of its breed. In the case of the already frightening GT2 variant of the 911, the RS trim borders on insanity. Although based on the previous 997 generation, rather than the all-new 991, the GT2 RS is the fastest production Porsche. With 620 horsepower coming from a twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter engine mounted in the trunk and powering only the rear wheels, calling the GT2 RS a handful to control should be an understatement. Still, for drivers versed in the art of 911 driving, the GT2 RS produces a thrill that few cars can match.
8. Bentley Continental Supersports, 621 horsepower – The first of two English cars on this list, the Bentley Continental Supersports differs from most of this pack because of its emphasis on luxury and comfort, rather than on outright, face-melting performance. This sumptuous Bentley packs six liters spread across 12 cylinders, although laid out in a W configuration instead of the more typical V. The turbocharged behemoth produces a dizzying 621 horsepower and launches the big coupe to 60 mph in less than four seconds — seriously fast for a 5,000-pound hunk of metal. Most examples of this $250,000 car end up in the hands of celebrities looking to flaunt some automotive bling.
7. Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG, 621 horsepower – While the Mercedes-Benz S65 isn’t the most powerful vehicle here, it is arguably one of the most astounding. The reason? It’s a 4-door luxury sedan capable of transporting five adults in comfort, technology and style. Like the Bentley, this big Benz gets its monumental power from a 6-liter 12-cylinder engine sporting a pair of turbochargers. As opposed to the Bentley’s unorthodox W-cylinder layout, the engine in the S65 is a traditional V12 good for 621 horsepower and a stupefying 738 lb-ft of torque. A sleeker 2-door cousin, the CL65 AMG, packs the same monstrous mill under the hood.
6. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, 638 horsepower – The Corvette ZR1 is the most potent mass-produced American sports car and lays claim to one of the quickest times around Germany’s famed Nürburgring track. Its supercharged 6.2-liter V8 engine churns out an easy 638 horsepower, making it the fastest production vehicle to wear a Chevrolet bow tie. Yet it remains surprisingly docile when driven gently. It continues to suffer against equally priced imports in terms of refinement, but the reverse can also be said of its performance — practically no other vehicle in the ZR1’s price range can touch its track-readiness. The Nissan GT-R is one of its few direct competitors.
Thanks, Jody! More 600 horsepower vehicles next time!